You may be asking yourself why you need a kennel, well kennels may look uncomfortable to us, but for a dog they are a cosy den. Kennels work in hot or cold weather and they don’t need to live outside to own a kennel. Your dog will appreciate a cosy den outside where they can sit outside, cold or hot, when they want to. Todays blog is all about finding the best patterdale terrier kennel.
How to find the right size Patterdale Terrier Kennel
You will need to measure your dog in order to determine the right size of kennel for them. To get the length of the kennel, measure your dog from nose to tail and then add around 3 inches. For the height you will need to measure your dog from the top of their head, to the ground, or from the tip of their ears to the ground if they have ears that stick up. Then add a couple of inches. To get the width of the kennel, measure from your dogs two shoulders and then add 5 inches or so. A small crate of around 24L x 18W x 21H should fit a patterdale terrier nicely. But if you have the space, then a larger kennel won’t go a miss.
When looking for a dog house, finding one with a raised floor is important. Heat of course rises from the ground and so investing in a dog house that lifts the house off the ground is an important factor when buying a safe dog house that will work effectively for your pet. However, failing to find one, it is easy enough to stick a couple of bricks underneath a dog house in order to raise it from the ground. It is also important to find a dog house that has at least one air vent. Good ventilation will make sure that the dog house circulates cool air rather than being clammy and dangerous to your dog during the hot summer months.
When it comes to materials, wood is recommended, particularly redwood or cedar as it prevents the floor from rotting. Metal and plastic houses are not a very good option when choosing a dog house, this is because they both conduct temperatures easier than wood, but also because plastic when exposed to lots of sun may deteriorate.
Wooden houses are the best option as they offer good ventilation during the summer and winter months. However, wooden houses don’t tend to last as long as plastic ones, but they are still the best option when looking for a safe, and effective dog house to keep your pet safe during the hot summer months.
You should also check that your patterdale terrier kennel comes with insulation. Insulation helps to prevent heat from transferring into the dog house during the summer months, but it also helps to prevent the cold from getting into the dog house during winter. However, you can always purchase ventilation kits that you can add to the dog house. Foam is great for using as insulation, just add it to the inner walls and roof, making sure to leave the ventilation gaps uncovered.
When placing your dog house, make sure that you put it in a naturally shaded area. Placing your dog house in the sun will not be effective in cooling your dog, so make sure you put it in an area that is in the shade for most of the day.
You should also make sure to clean the dog house, preferably the end of each season. So when purchasing a dog house, make sure that your dog house is easy to clean. Of course plastic dog houses are easiest to clean, but you can get wooden ones that are also easy to access.
Here are some of the best kennels available on Amazon:
- ⭐ Insulation on the front and all side walls (2 sides and back) Insulation is made of wood (tongue and groove) 1.2 cm thick, then 1.3 cm styrofoam, then 0.2 cm plywood board. Keep your dog warm and cool in summer in winter. Walls 150% thicker than other kennels.
- ⭐ Outer dimensions of Norfolk dog kennel: 116 cm (46 inches) width x 79 cm (31 inches) depth x 81 cm (32 inches).
- ⭐ Removable base for easy cleaning, maintenance and pest control. Opening roof with 2 locking arms.
This wooden kennel is stylish and it can be easily cleaned with the hinged roof and removable panels. There is insulation making it perfect for both winter and summer and it claims that the wood is 150% thicker than other kennels. The ground of the kennel is raised so that it can allow for better air circulation and it also keeps the kennel floor dry.
- Treat your pet with this stylish and modern Kennel that can be used as a summer or winter house/shelter.
- Comes in 2 colours - made from plastic so perfect for all year round. Strong, Durable Plastic, that is also waterproof/damp proof & hygenic.
- Plastic doesn't rot, especially the tough moulded plastic that is used to manufacture this kennel - it will stay looking good for years.
This kennel is made from plastic which means that it is easy to clean. It is not raised meaning that the air circulation isn’t great. It does have a plastic covering for a floor though. The insulation of this kennel doesn’t appear great either, but it does still provide better cover than outside, so it’s good for when your dog needs shade or wants to be out of the rain.
- ⭐ Overall dimensions: 78 cm (W) x 88 cm (D) x 79 cm (H)
- ⭐ Classic gable roof (pitched roof) dog kennel. Waterproof asphalt roof
- ⭐ The raised floor remains dry at all times and protects your pet from moisture
This wooden kennel is in a stylish shape and the roof opens up on both sides to make the kennel easy to access and clean. The floor is raised, providing good air circulation, and the floor can also be removed for easy cleaning. There are also flaps on the door of the kennel to allow for better cover.
- Plastic Dog Kennel Suitable For Small And Medium Size Dogs
- Lasts for Years, Easy to Clean and Maintainance Free!
- Raised Floor for Better Insulation
This simple plastic kennel is raised so that it provides better air circulation. There are also air vents in the kennel for air circulation as well. Plastic is easy to clean but the only access to the kennel is through the front door which may be tricky.
- Ventilation slots: yes (front and rear always open)
- Construction: weatherproof plastic
- Medium Kennel Size: 660mm H X 750mm D x 600mm W approx ,Entrance size: 490mm D x 390mm W approx ( FOR SMALL AND MEDIUM DOGS)
This is the same as the kennel before, except it is a larger size. This plastic kennel is raised from the ground which is hard to find among plastic kennels, this is a good thing because it helps with air circulation and insulation. There are also air vents which help with the air circulation as well. The access is difficult in terms of cleaning, but plastic is an easily cleanable material.
This plastic kennel is similar to the two prior kennels. It is raised from the ground meaning that it has good circulation and better insulation, the air vents also help with this. There is even a roof flap that can be opened and closed and can allow for more air circulation during the summer. It is difficult to access for cleaning and can only be accessed through the front door. However, it is plastic and this makes it easy to clean.
- Glazed pine
- Mineral surface roofing felt
- Legs protect against damp and cold from the ground and provide good air circulation below the kennel
This kennel is made of natural wood and has a raised floor to allow for better air circulation and to keep the floor dry. The only access to this kennel for cleaning is through the front door so it can’t be easily cleaned. However, it is a strong and durable kennel.
I hope that this was helpful to you in finding the right patterdale terrier kennel.