Although most of us walk our dogs regularly and train our dogs to pee and poop outside, some people still find an indoor dog potty very useful. Today’s all about why and how to use an indoor dog potty and we also recommend some of the best products on Amazon for you.
Why have an indoor dog potty?
There are many advantages to having an indoor dog potty especially if you are training your dog and going through that ‘in-between stage’. Better for him to do it in the potty than on your best carpet, right?!?!
But some dog owners who work a lot or need to leave their dogs at home for longer than they would like every now and again, it can be beneficial to have an indoor dog potty. They are designed to encourage your dog to go in the same place. They also contain odour eliminating fragrances and are designed to minimise the smell that you often get when dogs pee or poo inside.
How to Train your Dog to use a Potty
Dogs are very quick learners and will pick it up surprisingly quickly – especially if you use positive reinforcement dog training methods and treat them as soon as they use it properly!
First of all you can start by using scented pee pads that encourage your dog to do his business in that place. Then watch them carefully and stay with them the first few times that they use it, so that you can catch them being good! They need to receive a treat within 5 seconds of doing their business on the dog potty to associate the behaviour with the reward. If your dog is intelligent he or she will probably pick this up within a few days.
Best brands and ideas for a dog potty
Some of the best indoor dog potty products are made by Petsafe, Hompet and Nubstoer. Here are some of our favourite indoor dog toilets….
Hompet Dog Toilet
We love the artificial grass feel of this indoor dog toilet because it emulates the action of going outside on grass.
- 【Train Pet Naturally】: Perfect for the times when you are late coming home to let the dog out, or unable to let your pet outside due to illness or bad weather. Also ideal as a training pad for your pet puppy.
- 【Durability and Eco-friendly Turf】: The odor resistant grass looks and feels just like real grass while being completely safe for your pet.
- 【3-Piece System】: The puppy potty has a layer of faux grass that sits on top of a raised plastic drainage tray, It allows liquid to drain into the bottom insert tray, so grass mat is always dry and ready for use.
Nubstoer Indoor Training Protection Toilet
This Nubstoer Indoor Training Protection Toilet is hygienic washable plastic. It comes with a fake wall and pee post which are great for training male dogs who like to cock their little leg!
- With a wall and pee post. It is a good choice for boy or girl dogs.
- Material: PP plastic; Dimension: 46.5 * 35 * 22 cm(18.3" L x 13.7" W x 8.6" H);Wall 33cm * 20cm / 13" *7.9"
- WC with simulation wall is more suitable for male dogs. Easy to install, just insert it into the grid
Pet Safe Pet Loo
This is another Pet loo that emulates peeing on grass. It is easy to keep clean and easy to change – all of the waste is drained through the synthetic grass into the easy removal tray. The tray offers a cleaner and easier disposal than most traditional pet potties.
- CONVENIENT - acting as a lightweight, portable bathroom in a box, the PetSafe pet loo can be used indoors and outdoors to ideal suit every pet’s needs
- SLEEK DESIGN - featuring synthetic grass, the PetSafe pet loo brings the practicality of a traditional pet toilet or potty with the natural look and feel of the outdoors to the comfort of your own home, in a way your pets will quickly love
- FREEDOM - the PetSafe pet loo allows your pets to have their bathroom breaks without supervision, giving them independence to use their potty in a way that feels natural
Other Product Recommendations
If you are training your dog to go outside you may choose to use puppy training pads or a training spray that is scented to prompt dogs to pee in that place.
Puppy Training Pads
Many owners put these by the back door and then slowly move them inside. Eventually you will be able to completely take away the training p[ads and your dog will go to the loo outside.
- Each pad measures 71 x 86 cm (LxW), with an absorbent center pad and plastic border on all sides to prevent overflow
- Super-absorbent core that turns liquid to gel upon contact
- Leak proof with plastic lining to prevent damage to floors
Remember to put a command to the action, for example when you catch your dog peeing outside you can say ‘need the loo’ or ‘go peepee’ and then after a few times the dog will realise what the command means!
Pee Training Spray
You can use a pee spray to spray outside in the spot you want them to wee. It is scented and will encourage them to go in the place where you spray it. A good option is the ‘skip to my loo’ scented training spray.
- EASY TRAINING - Take the time and frustration out of toilet training by simply spraying the attractant over the desired area, encouraging Pets to go to the loo
- NATURAL ATTRACTANT – The unique and innovative Toilet Training Aid, attracts Pets to your chosen spot through mimicking animal urine
- ALL PETS – The PetSafe Skip To My Loo Attractant can be used withPets of all ages. Whether you have a Kitten or even if it’s a case of teaching an old Dog new tricks, the Toilet Training Aid is just as effective