The first thing that new puppy or dog owners worry about is how to get their pup or pooch to go to the toilet in the right place. How long to train him to go outisde for his wees and poos? The good news is that it is relatively quick and easy to toilet train a dog. Most adult dogs can be toilet trained in just a few days (usually 3-5 days is enough for them to learn!) but of course this can be much longer with puppies. That’s where a puppy training spray may come in useful.
Reward Based Training
It’s always best to train your dog using reward based training, and so as soon as your puppy or dog wees or poos in the right place you can give them a treat immediately (within 5 seconds) and a big fuss to reinforce that this is good behaviour. Our Blake picked it up within 3 days and then started asking us for the loo (by barking at us or crying and running to the door). We literally used one or two sprays of a training spray on grass combined with the reward method and he got it!
Toilet Training Puppies
Now it’s more of a challenge with puppies as most of them need be mainly inside first, depending on their injections and the accessibility of outside space. You can use a puppy training spray or puppy pads to show them where to go indoors. A puppy training spray and puppy pads have natural scents that mimic pheromones that dogs like to sniff and wee on. Of course it’s totally possible for puppies to be trained without toilet training sprays and pads, but many dog owners will tell you that it can speed up the process.
How to use a Puppy Training Spray
Many people use a puppy training spray on newspaper and then slowly move the newspaper towards the door until it is outside and that’s when they start going in the yard. That could be a process of around 3-7 days depending on the age of your puppy and on your property.
If you are training your pup to go straight outside, you could be in for many sleepless nights as you will need to be available to open the back door for your puppy every time he or she needs to go!
Which Puppy Training Spray should I use?
If you can, choose a puppy training spray that has natural plant extracts rather than chemical formulations. As mentioned, don’t solely rely on a training spray or pads – you need to combine with a reward based training method.
Pet Potty Training Spray
This Pet Potty training spray is the one that we ordered on Amazon for Blake, but as I mentioned he was so good that we only really needed a few sprays of it. It’s made from natural plant extracts, added spices, and a long-lasting formula which mimics the scent of dog urine, encouraging your dog to the designated place to go to the toilet.
- [ Quality Ingredients ] - Natural plant extracts, added spices, and a long-lasting formula with a tempting scent will guide your dog to the designated place to go to the toilet.
- [ Effective ] - Simulate the taste of pet urine, stimulate the smell of pets, and cooperate with training methods to make pets develop the habit of fixed bowel movements.
- [ Convenience ] - Reduce the troubles, only need a bottle of inducer to help you train your pets without urinating. You can shorten the training time by using this spray.
Skip to the Loo
Encourage your pooch to ‘skip to the loo‘ with this puppy training spray. It’s biodegradable and non-toxic formula is safe for dogs all ages and the scent will encourage them to their ‘piddle place!’.
- EASY TRAINING - Take the time and frustration out of toilet training by simply spraying the attractant over the desired area, encouraging Pets to go to the loo
- NATURAL ATTRACTANT – The unique and innovative Toilet Training Aid, attracts Pets to your chosen spot through mimicking animal urine
- ALL PETS – The PetSafe Skip To My Loo Attractant can be used withPets of all ages. Whether you have a Kitten or even if it’s a case of teaching an old Dog new tricks, the Toilet Training Aid is just as effective
Puppy Training Pads
Puppy training pads are good for use indoors for the first few nights when your puppy arrives as they are absorbent. They can be used with older dogs struggling with incontinence as well.
Simple Solution Puppy Pads
These Simple Solution puppy pads are Amazon’s Choice – the training pads are 21.5 x 22 Inches, with 6 x layer construction that guarantees leak protection. Only Simple Solution pads come with InstaShield Technology, which allows these dog pads to contain up to 6 cups of liquid and at the same time neutralizing unpleasant odour.
- MORE ABSORBENT - Simple Solution Dog and Puppy Training Pads are here to make house training your puppy and living with incontinent dogs easier. They are 100% more absorbent than our standard economy pads.
- LEAK PROTECTION - These house training pads are 60% bigger (71 x 76cm), with 6 x layer construction that guarantees leak protection. Tiny dogs can make repeat visits, and very large dogs will be able to make one pit stop without worry.
- WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY - Only Simple Solution pads come with InstaShield Technology, which allows these dog pads to contain up to 6 cups of liquid while neutralizing unpleasant odours. Protect your floors and your sense of smell.
Also these Amazon Basics are a best seller…each pad measures 22×22 inches (56×56 cm) These excellent value puppy pads have a super-absorbent core that turns liquid to gel upon contact.
- Each pad measures 22x22 inches (56x56 cm)
- Super-absorbent core that turns liquid to gel upon contact
- Leak proof with plastic lining to prevent damage to floors
Advantages of puppy pads are that they protect your floors, absorb liquid and eliminate the odour.
However, some dog trainers recommend that you avoid puppy pads indoors because it sends signals to the puppy that it’s ok to pee in the house and so some trainers recommend that you just teach going to the loo outside straight away.
If you have a new puppy, you might also want to read: