All terriers are highly intelligent and active dogs. That’s why terrier toys are so important. Keep a fair few different types of toys at home for your terrier such as raggas (tug-o-war), balls, plush dog toys and treat dispensers. This week, we asked Blake the Patterdale terrier what should be the top terrier toys and here’s what he came up with!
Rat Plush Toy for Dogs
Terriers are natural ratters with the hunting instinct built in. Nothing can really compare, therefore to a rat dog toy – we call ours Rodney! He will grab, shake it and throw it up the wall! Watch your terrier around plush toys though – they are likely to destroy plush toys eventually, but will oh so much fun doing it.
- Contains a Squeaker
- Quality Soft Plush
- Rural Animal Character
Honking Duck Toy for Dogs
A close contender is the honking duck dog toy – it’s in Blake’s collection and also a popular one with his Cairn terrier friends Alfie and Indy. It honks like a duck too, making it oh so exciting! Look out for ‘floor clouds.’ This poor Ducky will not last long in the hands of a terrier!
- A soft plush stuffed animal play toy
- Provide your dog or puppy with exercise and fun
- Great for play and training
Oversized Tennis Ball
I have owned four terriers in my life two Jack Russells, one JR Whippet-Cross and one patterdale. They all loved playing football! Tennis balls are great if they want to play fetch, but in my experience, terrier love to play football and go crazy for that thing! A cheap light bouncy ball is great for headers with dogs, but be prepared for it to be bitten! Oversized Tennis balls are perfect!
Take them somewhere with lots of open space and it’s a fantastic way to get them exercised with a focus.
Don’t choose a heavy leather football as it will be too hard for your dog to header. Although if he just wants to chase that would be perfect! Remember if you get a football for your dog, this is not a toy for you to leave him alone with – supervise your dog with footballs at all times just incase!
- The Impel is fast becoming a player favourite as the ideal all-weather soft-touch training ball
- The disruptive organic shapes work with the impactful graphic design to be more visual for the player
- Developed to help serious players get the most out of training
Terriers love to wrestle and play tug-o-war, and so ragga rope toy is an essential toy for terriers. They will fiercely not let go and get a thrill out of trying to keep it from your grip!
- ✅【XL Size Heavy Duty Rope Toys】Dog chew toys designed for large medium breeds! Sturdy and durable. Strong rope toys 26 Inch 3 Knots rope tug for aggressive chewers! The toys nearly indestructible, it is stronger and more durable than same type of rope toys.
- ✅【Safe and Tough Material】Dog rope toys are made of the durable braided cotton material, safe and non-toxic, washable and environmental-friendly. This kind of fabric is no harm to pets, very safe and long lasting. This chew toy will bring your dogs hours and hours of entertainment and exercise.
- ✅【Reduct Anxiety & Teeth Cleaning】This extra thick rope toy will help your pet to forget boredom, and get teeth cleaning, massaging gums, reducing plaque build-up, and won't chew your shoes or furniture when they have this toys! It also great for teething puppies.
Egg Treat Dispenser
The Egg treat dispenser is a great way to keep your pooch occupied. Maybe it’s to distract him/her while there are visitors. Or perhaps this is a toy that you leave full of treats when you go out to take his mind off being alone and to prevent separation anxiety. We like to fill Blake’s egg with Iams and he bops it to get them out!
- This dog slow feeder toy is made of ultra durable, non-toxic and non-odor material.
- This dog treat ball is easily cleaning. Hand wash each part with warm,sudsy water. Rinse and dry before filling.
- Arouse the interested and the appetites of pet. Let them see ,smell,hear it and found the snacks in side the toy.
What are your favourite terrier toys? Please comment and share what your dog loves and I will add it to the list!
If you are based in the USA you will love these dog chew toys from Kuoser – click here for their collection.
You might also like to read about Nina Ottosson dog puzzles which will stimulate your dogs brain and get him/her working for their food!