We all want the best for our dogs, and that includes a wholesome, balanced diet. Here we take a look at salmon oil and the benefits of feeding salmon oil to dogs.
What is Salmon Oil?
Salmon oil is made from the fish salmon, more precisely from the healthy fats found in salmon. The oil is extracted in a four part process, and the salmon oil that we buy for our dogs is produced in just the same way as the human grade salmon oil.
Salmon Oil for Dogs
We have found several great options of salmon oil food supplements for your dog, and it’s a matter of taking your pick.
For a fully traceable 100% natural product with no artificial additives, preservatives or colourings, we recommend Wee Doogie. For a cruelty free brand with added antioxidants, there is the Pets Purist natural pet care version.
- NO MORE ITCHY / DRY SKIN: Our ALL-NATURAL Scottish salmon oil formula is a liquid fish oil supplement designed to promote and improve any pets health, keeping them looking and feeling great. It is proven to reduce itching, dandruff and dry skin.
- PACKED WITH OMEGA-3, 6, & 9 ESSENTIAL FATTY ACIDS: Our premium formula contains Omega-3, Omega-6, and Omega-9 fatty acids derived from EPA and DHA, known as triple omega. These nutrients help keep animal coats soft and support overall pet health.
- HEALTHY PET BENEFITS: Simply add our salmon oil to any cat food, dog food, or pet food daily to help support and improve mental, brain and heart health. It also assists cell membrane formation, weight management, arthritis, and inflammation.
Medipaws offer medical-grade salmon oil that is provided with a daily dosing postcard.
- 🟠 No More Itchy, Dry Skin & Scratching – 100% Pure Scottish Salmon Oil For Dog Is An All-Natural Fish Oil Support Proven To Help Pets Of All Sizes Support Scratching, Itchy Skin, Ears, Paws & Hydrate Healthy Skin (No Need For Sprays)
- 🟠 Soft Glossy Silky Shiny Coat – Powerful & Proven Omega 3-6-9 Fatty Acids Which Helps Maintain A Soft Glossy Silky Shiny Dog Coat While Supporting Overall Health & Wellbeing. Helps Moulting & Shedding Hair (Works Well With Dog Cool Coat)
- 🟠 Supports Dog Joints & Immune System – Rich In Fatty Acids Which Support Joint Health & Function. Keeping The Heart & Immune System Healthy (Works Well with Dog Joint Supplements For Dog Agility)
We also like the small family brand Zanipro; their salmon oil is 99.5% salmon oil, with 0.5% antioxidants natural tocopherios.
- RICH IN ESSENTIAL FATTY ACIDS: Sustainably sourced from Scottish deep sea lochs, Zanipro Scottish salmon oil provides nourishing omega 3 fatty acids including DHA and EPA, omega 6 and omega 9 fatty acids for a balanced blend that supports dog and cat health.
- PROMOTES A SMOOTH, SHINY COAT - Supporting skin and coat health, the liquid fish oil supplement relieves dry, flaking and itching skin, reducing irritation and hot spots. The nutrient-rich oil also improves dull, dry and coarse fur and minimizes unseasonal and excessive shedding to promote a healthier, shiny coat that is soft to the touch.
- SUPPORTS JOINT AND IMMUNE HEALTH - Formulated for both dogs, cats and small animals, the salmon fish oil supplement contains essential vitamins and antioxidants for supporting joint health to help alleviate arthritis and reduce inflammation. The omega 3 supplement also supports a healthy brain and heart as well as the immune system.
Why Dogs Need Fats and Oils
Fats and oils are an important part of a dog’s balanced diet. A normal, healthy adult dog requires approximately 10-15% fat to maintain good health.
Just like with humans, these healthy fats and oils shouldn’t be confused with the less healthy fats that they obtain through sharing human snacks and leftovers.
When dogs do not have enough healthy fat in their diet, they have a dull coat and can suffer from dry and itchy skin. Conversely, a dog fed with quality oils rich in omega-3 and omega-6 will have a bright, healthy, shiny coat.
Prolonged lack of the correct fats can impact on dogs developing health problems in particular heart disease, diabetes, glaucoma and diminished immune system.
Dogs need both oils and fats from their diet to thrive
The fats your dog needs are made up of fatty acids. These fatty acids have different chemical structures and differ in the way they are bonded together. Essential fatty acids are the fat’s that dogs need to have added to their diet because their bodies cannot make them. Essential fatty acids are divided into two groups that are called omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. For a fully balanced diet, your dog requires fatty acids from both these groups.
Fats give your dog a concentrated form of energy that is more than twice the amount of energy they get from carbohydrates or protein. Fats are highly digestible for dogs and are utilized by the body before carbohydrates and protein.
The quality and quantity, and the source of the fats in some of the cheaper dog foods are questionable. Fats in the dog foods you buy typically come from animal and plant sources and not always from oily fish.
Quality dog foods may use salmon, but you need to check that they use salmon oil in sufficient quantities to ensure adequate amounts of omega-3.
People frequently feed homemade diets to their dogs or create their own mix from shop bought products.
Whichever diet your dog receives, it’s essential that they receive enough omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. There are more likely to be enough omega-6 fats in the diet because omega-6 fats come from pork fat, poultry fat, safflower, sunflower oils, corn and soybean oils that are relatively cheap and easy to obtain.
Frequently omega-3 in commercial dog food comes from flaxseed and rapeseed oil instead of the superior fish oils, particularly salmon oil, which is the best source.
As well as being the primary source of energy for dogs, fats help dogs absorb the fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E and K, and are vital for the normal development and function of cells, muscles and nerves. Fats are essential for producing prostaglandins that are important for the body’s function, including reducing inflammation.
It is not unusual for omega-6 oils to be too high in a dogs diet while the omega-3 is insufficient. Omega-3 can help balance high omega-6.
Benefits of Feeding Salmon Oil to Dogs
Salmon oil is one of the best supplements to provide good fats to help your dog function in many ways.
Salmon oil supports dogs’ heart health, joints, skin, and more by providing the important omega-3 fats they need.
It’s best not to give your dog cod liver oil; it’s high in vitamin A that can be toxic to them in large amounts.
Salmon oil is a good source of DHA and EPA fatty acids for improved health. There are three main types of omega-3 fatty acids:
- alpha-linolenic acid (ALA)
- eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA)
- docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)
ALA comes from plants and is much harder for dogs to digest. The dogs’ digestive system must first convert it into EPA and DHA, which takes time and energy. The Kennel Club state that plant based omega-3 is okay for puppies but not for older or ill dogs.
You cannot underestimate the importance of feeding your dog adequate, good quality omega-3 as part of their diet.