The Nina Ottosson dog brick is an excellent dog puzzle to help your dog to use his brain, paws and nose! The Dog Brick is a puzzle that you can hide your dogs treats in and encourage him to ‘find it!’ Our Patterdale terrier Blake loves these activities.
Introducing the Nina Ottosson Dog Puzzles
Nina Ottosson designed a range of dog puzzles to help dogs engage their brain by finding their food. This would have happened naturally in the wild, but now that dogs are domesticated, we still need to satisfy those ‘hunting’ and foraging’ instincts. So making our dogs work for their food is good for them both mentally and physically.
The dog puzzles that Nina Ottosson designed come in a range of difficulty levels from 1-3n with Level one being the easiest and level 3 being the hardest. The idea is to start them on the simple level 1 toys and as they get used to it and improve their skills move them up to the next level.
Th Nina Ottosson Dog Brick
The dog brick is a puzzle that is a level 2 game and so it works well for terriers and dogs that are very food motivated and who have some experience of level 1. However, some terriers are very intelligent can in my experience skip straight to level 2 puzzles!
There are four rows of treats that your dog has to get from the puzzle. First your pooch has to take out the bone shaped ‘pegs’ to discover treats underneath – and make way for the next step! The second step is for your pooch to move the sliders across with his nose or paw to reveal more treats underneath.
- BOREDOM BUSTER INTERACTIVE DOG TOY: As one of our most popular intermediate level 2 designs, the Dog Brick interactive puzzle includes additional obstacles and combinations of steps that will keep your dog focused and mentally-stimulated as they search and sniff out the tasty treats
- FLIP, LIFT, & SLIDE TO HIDE TREATS: The Nina Ottosson Dog Brick comes with 3 types of treat hiding compartments to test your furry' friends skills! Flip lid compartments open and slide to reveal two separate treat hiding spots while removable brick bones conceal the third hidden compartments in this puzzle dog toy
- ENCOURAGES POSITIVE PLAY HABITS: This fun and rewarding puzzle is great for reducing anxious dog behavior and redirecting destructive behavior
We find that the dog brick is great for giving Blake something to do while we pop to the shops. Finding his chicken or ham gives him something else to focus on – other than the fact that Mom and Dad are out!
However, don’t leave your dog unsupervised with a toy unless you know that he will be fine with it. Some dogs can be aggressive chewers and may end up with pieces of plastic stuck in their intestines which can be dangerous. If this is the case, monitor your dog with it the first few times and even consider getting a dog camera so that you can watch him or her when you go out.
- INTERMEDIATE DOG PUZZLE: Exercise your dog’s mind with the interactive level 2 Dog Tornado puzzle toy. This engaging dog treat dispenser provides a fun physical & mental challenge. Your pup will need to learn how to combine multiple steps to retrieve the hidden treat
- BOREDOM BUSTER: With 12 hidden compartments and 3 dog bone covers you can vary the difficulty level of this stimulating dog puzzle to keep your furry friend excited and satisfied
- EASY TO CLEAN: The Dog Tornado puzzle toy is easy to wash by hand with mild soap and warm water. Make sure all compartments are dry before using
If you love the dog brick, another one that you might like is the Dog Tornado, also designed by Nina Ottosson. This is Blake’s favourite!