Today’s blog introduces you to the top 6 dog grooming tools you need to have for your next groom job. This article will cover the most common tool sets you’ll need when it comes time to do the grooming yourself. You will want to make sure that you are properly equipped with all of the necessary tools for any coat and situation.
Dog Grooming Tool 1 – Dog Grooming Scissors
These are used for cutting hair, and trimming around feet, paws, face and ears. Dog grooming scissors come in many different styles. Some have a spring action where they close up on their own after making a cut. Others require you to manually close them by pushing the two blades together yourself. You want to invest in high quality grooming shears. This is a tool that you will be using on a regular basis and your dog’s hair grows back quickly, so you need a pair of scissors that can handle the stress of frequent use.
- ✄[Ergonomic Design]: Perfect for Left and Right Hand Use,Providing Maximum Comfort and Reducing Hand Fatigue From Prolonged Use.The Silicone Pad At the Handle Prevents Accidental Pinching of Fingers and Avoids Hurting Your Hands When Using It.
- ✄[High Quality Material] Pet Scissors Are Made of Stainless Steel, Durable and Sturdy For Long-term Use. Ease Cut the Thickest Furs and Toughest Tangles.Maintains Perfect Weight and Balance For A Neat and Clean Grooming For Your Dog.
- ✄[Adjustable and Comfortable] :The Adjustable Screw Can Be Tightened Or Loosened For Sharpening and Cleaning the Blade, Easy to Operate, Pet Scissors Come With A Removable Finger Rest. You Can Easily Adjust These Scissors to Suit Your Handle and Control Needs and Reduce Hand Fatigue.
Dog Grooming Tool 2 – A Slicker Brush [also called a pin brush]
This pet brush is great for detangling, conditioning and grooming your pet. It is probably hands down the most important item in your dog grooming tools and every dog owner should have one. The slicker brush is the perfect tool for removing shedding hair from your dog’s coat while brushing out their undercoat and at the same time you are able to spread natural skin oils throughout their fur which keeps their coats shiny and healthy looking. It also spreads the natural skin oils through your pet’s coat which helps prevent tangles as well. The black rubber tips of the pins are rounded which prevents irritating your pet’s skin during grooming.
- Slicker Brush (Large) with ergonomic hand grip
- Removes matts tangles and loose hair
- Reduces moulting with regular use.
Dog Grooming Tool 3 – A Shedding Blade [also called a de-shedding blade, or deshedder]
This tool is often confused with a dog rake, but it is actually quite different. You see, a rake has longer teeth and is used to pull out large amounts of loose hair. A Shedding Blade is used for removing dead undercoat and loose hair only. Dead undercoat sheds on it’s own, so you don’t have to worry about accidental pulling. This tool works great as a finishing touch after you’ve already brushed your dog with a slicker brush or pin brush. It also works great if you have a dog that has longer hair and like to keep their coats trimmed short. If you prefer to keep your pet’s coat long, then it is also helpful for removing any dead undercoat so you can see where the guard hairs are starting to grow in and even out the length of the hair.
- curved blades easily strip out any unwanted loose or dead hair
- Ideal to use on thick, heavy or double coated dogs
- Only use once a week or every other week
Dog Grooming Tool 4 – A Dremel
The dremel has been a grooming tool favourite for quite some time, but it is only recently that they have made them specifically just for dogs! The hand held pet dremel comes with several attachments that allow you to groom your dog’s nails easily and effortlessly. I personally think that this is great for pet owners because it offers flexibility in areas where your dog’s grooming needs are concerned. You don’t have to use the dremel exclusively for only nail trimming, because even though it is highly recommended by many professional groomers, you can also use this tool on a variety of other things as well.
This tool can be used for grinding down fur that is starting to grow back in after your dog has been fully shaved. You can also use it on other areas of your dog’s coat to remove loose hair and promote healthy skin underneath, or you may choose to use it for filing their nails so they are more blunt than sharp. The dremel is great for grooming dogs with very short coats such as Maltese’s. It can be used on any dog regardless of the length of their coat and comes in a variety of sizes and styles so you can choose one that will best fit your needs.
- Safe: This electric nail grinder for dogs offers a safe, effective alternative to using clippers by gradually sanding the nail at a 45 Degree angle to prevent bleeding from cutting the nail too short
- Stress-free: Motor runs quietly to avoid startling and variable speed settings let you carefully grind the nails of your dog in stages for comfortably trimming dog nails in a harmless manner
- Home comfort: The lightweight, cordless design of this battery-operated dog nail trimmer allows for use anywhere your dog is most comfortable, even on its own dog bed at home
Dog Grooming Tool 5 – Dog Nail Clippers
These are used for trimming your dog’s nails. You want to use a high quality pair of nail clippers and always remember to make sure they are very sharp when you begin clipping. If you do not have a pair of good quality dog nail clippers, ask your veterinarian or look for them in pet supply stores where other grooming supplies will be available as well.
Make sure to have a styptic pencil or powder on hand in case you accidentally cut into the quick of your dog’s nail. A very small amount of bleeding is normal when trimming your dog’s nails, but if your dog starts to bleed excessively then you need to stop and take care of it right away! Really, you should avoid clipping your dogs nails unless you are a trained professional, as it can be unpleasant for your dog especially if you cut the quick (the part of the nail that has a blood supply).
- Design: Candure Dog Nails Clippers and Pet Trimmers is Professionally Designed For Claw Cut. It's a powerful and easy to use for Pets Manicure and Pedicure. It can be used at home and Pet Lounges. Claw Cutters for Dogs comes with a Protective Guard to Protect your Pets from "Over-Trimming" and Safety Lock for easy storage
- Deal: Candure Dog Nail Clippers with Nail File is Ideal For Small , Medium And Large Dogs. This Professional Dog Grooming Tools is also Ideal for Cats, Dogs, Rabbits, Parrots,Pets, Birds And Animals
- Ergonomic And Easy To Use:Ergonomically designed non-slip handles are strong,lightweight,and comfortable. Comfort-grip, anti-slip handles fit easily in your hand and are designed to stop hand and wrist strain
Dog Grooming Tool 6 – A Soft Brush
Brushing your dog’s coat is essential to grooming. Not only will it remove a lot of loose hair, but it can help redistribute oil in their coats which prevents tangling and matting as well. This type of brush is used to get down deep into your dog’s undercoat, so make sure you purchase the appropriate one for the type of coat your dog has. You want a brush that is soft, but also firm enough so it can effectively remove dead undercoat and loose hair. This brush comes in various sizes as well as different bristle lengths and thicknesses. Not all brushes are created equal, so it is important to take this into consideration when purchasing one.
Smaller dogs tend to have shorter and finer hair, so a small brush with soft bristles will do the trick. Larger breeds however, need a larger brush with longer and thicker bristles. If you have an all purpose brush that can be used on medium to long haired dogs then it will suffice as well. Your dog’s coat is very important to them, so you should keep in mind their coat when choosing the right dog grooming tools for your dog.
What do you think are the most important dog grooming tools? Please leave your comments on our blog below.
If you enjoyed this article you might also like to read about Best Grooming Dog Scissors