Brushing and grooming your dog is an important part of looking after your dog efficiently. It gets rid of tangles, it keeps your dog’s coat shiny and clean, it stops pet hair from getting onto your clothes and furniture, and it gives your dog a massage that activates your pets natural oils and promotes a healthy coat. However, different types of brushes work best for different types of dogs. The slicker brush works best for a Patterdale Terrier or Jack Russell Terrier. But what is a slicker brush and why does it work best?
Getting the right brush type for your pet is crucial to happy grooming. The type of brush also alters your dog’s enjoyability of the grooming experience. You will find that when you find the right type of brush that your dog will enjoy being brushed more.
What are slicker brushes?
Slicker brushes have short wires that are fine and close together. There are different types of slicker brushes available on the market, but it is important to find one with a flexible enough handle as this will help to make the grooming experience easier for you. They remove knots, tangles, and mats in your dog’s fur, keeping your dog’s coat healthy and shiny.
Slicker brushes can be quite spiky, so when using them it is important to be gentle and to not press too hard on the brush.
How to brush properly with a slicker brush
As mentioned, slicker brushes tend to be quite jaggy and may hurt your dog if not used properly. A good way to brush your dog is to brush them gently with soft and short strokes so as not to hurt your dog and to keep them calm. You will also be best to brush your dog slowly with a slicker brush from neck to tail. You should avoid using the slicker brush on your dog’s face and head as it is quite harsh and may cause your dog discomfort. A comb or a bristle brush will work best on your dog’s head and face.
This is Amazon’s choice for a slicker brush. It is quite small in size so it is perfect for smaller dogs, but also great for focusing on knots and tangles. The handle of the brush is quite thick so that may be a concern, but it does appear to be flexible enough.
- ★5 APPLICATIONS: 1. Combs and Removes dead fur. 2. Loosens tangles and knots. 3. Helps to prevent future fur loss. 4. Increases blood circulation. 5. Reduces up to 90% of fur loss.
- ★ EASY TO CLEAN: The round, green button on the handle operates a very simple and yet ingenious mechanism for releasing all the dead fur and debris that the brush picks up. The retractable bristle design keeps the grooming brush safe and easy to store in your grooming kit when it is not in use.
- ★ TEETH, ERGONOMIC HANDLE: The stainless steel teeth are designed to penetrate the fur and comb/smooth the fur. The ergonomic handle makes everyday use comfortable by ensuring a good grip.
The Pecute slicker brush is fairly large and robust looking. The benefit of this brush is that you can click the button on the handle and it will release all of the dead fur that your brush has collected, making it easy for cleaning. The only downfall of this brush is that it is quite chunky which makes it less flexible.
- ❤️️ 【Friendly Protect Pet Skin】ACE2ACE Comb Brushes have rounded tips design, which won't be too sharp to scratch the pet skin when using. Much better than other comb brushes.
- ❤️️ 【Professional Care】1. Loosens pet tangles and knots. 2. Grooming and removes dead fur. 3. Prevent future pet fur loss. 4. Increases pet body blood circulation. 5. Pet's fur loss will reduced almost 90%.
- ❤️️ 【Easy Hair removed With One Key】After finishing the job, just need simply push the blue button, and the pet hair will be released easily.
The ACE2ACE brush is slightly less robust than the Pecute brush and it also offers the button to release the dead fur easily. The ends of this brush also have rubber dots that claim to make grooming more comfortable for your dog and to massage them better. Although it is not as robust as the Pecute brush, it is still fairly chunky and doesn’t offer great flexibility.
- Included components: Soft Protection Slicker Brush Small
The Rosewood brush is relatively simple in style, but instead of having a flat section for the wires, it is rounded so that the wires sit in a curve. This curve makes the brush more flexible and allows you to brush your dog easier. The back of the brush also features a comb, so it can brush your dog’s body and face/head efficiently.
- ❤️️ 【HUMANIZED PET BRUSH】The de-shedding brushes have stainless steel needles with a 60-degree bend and some elasticity which will remove up dead hair and knotted hair from your cat and dog's coat easily within minutes!
- ❤️️ 【EASY TO CLEAN】Each time you use the massage comb to comb your pet, you can easily release the pet hair collected on the Self Cleaning brush with the push of a button.
- ❤️️ 【PET CARE】The head of the slicker brush uses a soft rubber cap to care for pet skin, Increases pet body blood circulation, The design that prevents static electricity and protects pet hair.
The PAKEWAY brush has a circular design and it also features a button that allows you to remove dead hair from the brush easily. The brush does not look very flexible due to its shape and size and there are other brushes on this list with the button push function that allow more flexibility.
- This star product was created to be more ergonomic.
- Designed to not only be comfortable to the pet but aid in grooming and dematting.
- Perfect for everyday grooming.
This brush is incredibly flexible, the head moves and curves with the shape of the dog’s body allowing for easier grooming for your dog and causing less strain on your wrist.
- ERGONOMIC HANDLE - The anti-slip gel handle provides excellent grip of this grooming tool and makes it easy to brush through stubborn mats and tangles
- SUITABLE FOR ALL BREEDS – Suitable for all breeds including small, medium and large dogs and help to provide greater comfort and well-being. This brush is the perfect size for small dogs, cats, rabbits and more. Additionally, it provides a soothing massage for pets with lighter coats
- NYLON BRISTLES - The nylon bristles remove loose hair, debris and tangles to achieve a smooth coat. Ball pin tips provide a soothing and comforting massage for pets with lighter coats
The Wahl brush sits at an angle which makes flexibility easier for a more comfortable groom. The handle is made of gel which adds to your comfort and overall grip. The brush has ball pins that make your dog’s experience as comfortable and relaxing as possible, massaging their coat and making sure that the thin pins don’t cause them discomfort.
- Firm pin pad for coarse coated breeds
- Light aluminium constuction with round corners
- Beech wood handle
The Lawrence slicker brush is a classic slicker brush with a wooden handle. They claim that their product is the first choice for grooming professionals. Perhaps simplicity is key when it comes to grooming.
- Soft cushioned pin pad for fine coats
- Light aluminium constuction with round corners
- Beech wood handle
Another Lawrence brush, this brush offers extra flexibility with the tilted head of the brush. It makes sure that you have a comfortable grooming experience as well as the dog. The tilted head makes it easier to brush your dog’s coat properly and Lawrence claims to be the top choice for professional groomers.
- 【Suitable for Large Breed Dog】-It can be used to comb large dogs such as golden retrievers and huskies. When you finish outdoor activities with the dog, you can use the Claw Claws Pet Slicker Brush to comb the dog's fur, and simply remove the dirt by the way.
- 【Stainless Steel with Soft Bent Pins】-The slicker brush with the soft bent pins can penetrate into your pets’ fur and without scratching and irritating skin. It not only can gently and effectively remove loose undercoat, tangles, knots, and mats but also suitable for using after bathing or at the end of the grooming process.
- 【Elastic Rubber Pad】-The pin brush with an elastic rubber pad that can provide more comfortable for your dogs or cats to also make them more protective when combing.
Similar to the prior Lawrence brush, this brush also has a tilted head and a wooden handle that gives you extra flexibility while grooming your dog. This brush also has an elastic rubber pad where the pins sit, making the brush easier to clean and more comfortable for your pet.