The Pitpat activity tracker monitors your dogs exercise, rest, distance, calories, and weight in coordination with the Pitpat app. But how effective is the Pitpat and how does it compare to other dog fitness monitors that are available on the market? This Review will answer all these questions, but first what is a Pitpat?
- Keep your dog healthy and have fun together. Designed with vets. Works with easy-to-use app.
- Accurately measures and displays daily dog exercise and rest, distance and calories. Manages weight.
- Get personal breed-specific recommendations. Set and track goals. Win fun achievement badges.
The Pitpat is available for £39 on Amazon and monitors your dogs movements. It can tell you how much walking, running, playing, pottering, and resting that your dog does daily, even during the night. It will then give a personal exercise recommendation for your dog and if they achieve it then they will get a star on the app. The app will also show the daily distance covered and the calories that your dog has burned. All you have to do is set your dog’s weight, breed, and body condition and the app will guide you in the right direction. It is especially good for dogs who need to lose or gain weight by tracking your dog’s progress and giving you a massive push in the right direction.
The device fits onto your dog’s collar, it is fully waterproof, small, and lightweight. It fits onto all collars and harness types, so no need to worry about whether it will fit. It is also comfortable for your dog, they likely won’t even notice that it is there. The best part is that it is extremely tough and can withstand all dog behaviours. The battery is non-rechargeable, only because the battery life is one year, then all you need to do is purchase a new battery. The battery is cheap to buy and super easy to replace, so don’t worry, you don’t need to be an engineer to figure it out. The device attaches to your dog’s collar by velcro, but don’t worry, it is no ordinary velcro. It is super-strong parachute velcro which means that it can withstand almost anything. You don’t need a subscription to use your Pitpat, but there is an optional Pitpat Life Club that offers some perks and prizes. The app is super easy to use, and it’s free on iOS and Android. You can set up your pet’s profile, with the ability to monitor more than one pet from the same account. It gives your pet badges for meeting goals and encourages you to push your four-legged friend to live a healthier and happier lifestyle. For more information why not check out the Pitpat site.
The Pitpat device can store up to one weeks worth of data and therefore it needs to be uploaded from the device onto your phone on a regular basis. This can be done easily through the app and does not require you taking the device off, all you have to do is make sure that your app is synced to the device and then press the big orange paw on the Pitpat to transfer the data. You should also note that the device is not recommended to be used with puppies under 12 weeks of age. The design is fairly simple but effective. It is black with an orange paw print. The replaceable battery is much simpler than having to constantly recharge the device, and it gets rid of the worry that it will run out of battery every few days and leave you with no data.
The only additional costs you will need to think about are the battery replacements and those are cheap. Unless you want the Pitpat Life Subscription which will cost £4 a month. This subscription gives you points when your dog meets daily goals and you can then redeem the points for some treats for your doggo, including chew toys and slow-feeder bowls.
Some alternative products include:
- 【Embedded SIM Version】New Pawfit 2 includes embedded SIM with coverage in both Europe and North America, utilises GPS, WiFi and cellular technology, combined with our optimisation algorithms, giving you the fastest and most accurate location of your pets. Therefore a small subscription fee is needed, starting at only £ 3.59 / month with different subscription plans available. This low fee ensures you the best cellular service possible.
- 【Activity Monitoring】 Pawfit provides the most accurate update of your pet's location, and monitors your pet’s movements and presents them to you as steps, distance, calories burned, active and rest hours. It allows you to set customised activity goal for your pet and also gives you recommendation based on your pet’s breed and weight.
- 【Protection Features】 By using the latest text-to-speech technology, anyone who presses the power button will hear a broadcast of your pet's ID and return your lost pet to safety. Pawfit alerts you when the surrounding temperature of your pet becomes abnormal, the tracker is removed from the collar, and your pet crosses the safety zones you customised.
The Pawfit 2 is slightly pricier with a retail price of £55. It contains all of the same features as the Pitpat, however, it also includes a tracking device so that you can always know where your doggo is. The Pawfit device is more modern in style with the feature of a screen, and looks much more expensive. The device is re-chargeable so it may cause slightly more hassle, although the tracking mode is comforting. It even alerts you if and where the device is removed from your dog’s collar. The subscription fee is also necessary for the device to work, it is not optional like Pitpat. The subscription costs from around £4.79 a month to £3.59 a month if you opt for a 12 month subscription.
- LIVE TRACKING & LOCATION HISTORY - Pinpoint the real-time location of your furry friend when it matters most and see the history of places your dog has visited.
- VIRTUAL FENCE - Define a safe area and get an instant notification if your pet leaves the area. Dog tracking has never been easier.
- ACTIVITY MONITORING: Keep your dog fit and healthy. See how much they're moving, check calories burned and set goals.
The Tractive device has an RRP of £44.99 and also allows you to view your pet’s location, a feature that the Pitpat is missing. The device is also slightly larger than the Pitpat and requires a monthly subscription that costs upwards of £3.75. The battery is also a rechargeable battery and so it will cause slightly more hassle than the Pitpat.
- NO DISTANCE LIMIT - The GPS tracker has no distance limit Track your dog from your phone (iPhone and Android) in any part of Europe.
- REAL-TIME GPS TRACKING - The GPS tracker constantly sends its position: up to one position every 10 seconds. Unlimited tracking
- TRAINING - Make your dog's tracker ring whenever it's mealtime. It will associate the two events. From then on a beep will be enough to make your dog come home. It will be very easy to remind your dog that it is time to eat.
The Weenect device costs around £49 and looks slightly bulkier and noticeable than the other devices. As the others, it does feature the tracking device that Pitpat is missing. The subscription is also compulsory and costs upwards of £7.90 a month, which is quite expensive considering the quality of Pitpat. It also does not have any fitness monitors, it is simply just a tracking device. Although it does have the ability to vibrate when you press the button on your smart device, so that you can train your dog to come when the collar vibrates.