If you haven’t already got a lickimat for your dog, you simply have to get one! They are great for keeping your dog occupied during stressful situations such as during fireworks or when strange visitors arrive. If you haven’t already got one you might want to read my blog about the benefits of a lickimat for dogs. If you have one already, you are probably wondering what to put on a lickimat. You have come to the right place!
Today on my blog I’m sharing what Blake the Patterdale terrier loves to have on his licky mats. Some of his top choices include dog pate, Kong Easy Treat Cheese and Mutt Butter (peanut butter for dogs). Sometimes we do a lickimat for him that has a variety of tastes maybe half mutt butter and half dog yoghurt!
Benefits of a Lickimat for Dogs
It keeps him occupied and we always leave him with lickimats and Kong Extreme when we go out so that he is not stressed and anxious. Lickimats are also good for dogs who wolf down their food – it is a great way of slow feeding tinned dog food too. Oh and of course, it’s incredibly tasty!
You can also freeze lickimats with banana, dog pate and yoghurt on them and this makes it last even longer for your pooch!
Remember to only leave your dog alone with your lickimat if you are sure that he will not eat the mat too! This has happened before to some of our readers!!! It is a good idea to get a dog camera so that you can keep an eye on your dog when you go out, but never leave him alone with things that you are unsure of!
Here are our top 7 ideas of what to put on a Lickimat
1. Dog Pate
Choose a nice high quality dog pate to spread such as Lily’s Kitchen or Forthglade dog food. Don’t get the type of food like Bakers or Pedigree chum tinned with chunks, because you will find yourself smashing the chucks up and it will take ages to prepare!
- JR’s 100% natural pure Pate for dogs now includes a multi-pack of Chicken, Turkey, Salmon, Beef and Lamb. These treats are not only a delicious treat but they’re healthy too. Ideal for dogs of all breeds and sizes, they’re a great source of protein and are perfect for training. This multi-pack includes a single pack of each of the named protein types above.
- Pure Pate, 100% natural dog treats with no additives or preservatives, simply the finest cuts of fresh meat…that’s it!
- Made from the same human grade meat as our irresistible pure sticks and training treats
2. Natural Yoghurt
The best kind of yogurt for dogs is plain or even non-fat plain. Just be sure it’s yogurt without artificial preservatives or any sweeteners and avoid certain fruits or flavours that are not good for does such as cherries or berries. Smear the yoghurt over the lickimat and you can also freeze it to make it longer lasting.
- Take on the day with Arla Skyr Natural Icelandic-style Yoghurt.
- Delicious, thick texture with no artificial colours or sweeteners.
- 0% fat, high protein and reduced sugar* *30% less sugar than other flavoured yogurts based on a market average.
3. Kong Easy Treat
Kong do a great squeezy paste for dogs which is specifically intended for filling Kongs and lickimats. They do liver flavour, peanut butter flavour and cheese.
- Easy to dispense
- Delicious liver flavour, irresistible to most dogs
- Made in the USA
4. Mashed Banana
Blakes top treat is banana! Now banana is ok to give to dogs, but only in small quantities as they contain a lot of sugar. When Blake has been a really good boy we give him his favourite lickimat – frozen smashed banana half and half with Mutt Butter!
5. Mutt Butter
One of Blake’s favourite Lickimat spreads is peanut butter for dogs. It’s best to avoid giving dogs human peanut butter because it can contain xylitol which is toxic to dogs. So order a specifically made peanut butter for dogs such as Mutt Butter. Mutt butter by Healthy Hounds is 100% natural and completely safe for dogs. It contains no added salt, sugar or xylitol. It’s also palm oil free so good for the environment.
- NO PALM OIL, XYLITOL, OR HARMFUL ADDITIVES: Mutt butter is a naturally thick and creamy dog peanut butter, containing only roasted peanuts and a touch of vegetable oil NOTHING ELSE. There's no added salt, sugar, or dangerous sweeteners like Xylitol to worry about.
- 100% NATURAL INGREDIENTS: We only use the finest, 100% natural ingredients in Mutt Butter. No artificial additives, preservatives or colourings, and no binders or fillers such as coconut oil etc. Peanut butter aimed at humans can be very unsafe for dogs, but with our product you can be 100% assured that it is safe for your pet.
- GRAIN FREE DOG TREAT+ LICK MAT: Our natural peanut butter for dogs is the perfect grain free treat dog treat. It can be used to spread on a lick mat, or to stuff in toys to keep your dog occupied. It's a great reward and can be used for a snack or can also be baked into dog cookies, dog biscuits, and training treats.
6. Cottage Cheese
Did you know that dogs can eat cottage cheese? Well they can and it makes a great filling for lickimats. A small amount of cottage cheese for dogs as it is low in lactose and rich in calcium.
Dogs can actually eat applesauce and it’s great for spreading on Lickimats. If you are looking for a good applesauce for your dog, go for an organic brand that doesn’t have added sugar or fillers.
I hope that you enjoyed this blog on what to put on a Lickimat? I’d love to hear about what your dog loves on a Lickimat! Are there any of his or her favourites mentioned here? Or perhaps you want to share a few new ideas that I haven’t mentioned in my blog. Please leave your comments below!