When dogs suffer from flatulence it can be extremely unpleasant for both the owner and the dog. Your dog may be very uncomfortable and it is most likely being caused by what they are eating. They may also have some sort of allergy so always try and track what they have eaten and done if you see a change in your dog’s stool. Just like humans, dog will occasionally fart and that is perfectly normal. What is not normal are obsessive farting and foul odours. Bread, beans, lactose found in milk, and certain thickeners found in pet food (often made from soya) can all cause dogs to pass wind.
Excessive flatulence is usually linked to your dog’s diet. It is not necessarily caused by a problem with the quality of the ingredients he is eating (although eating low-quality food makes it worse) but is most likely due to food intolerance.
The most likely cause of flatulence is the type of food they are eating but this can be prevented by, an improved diet of food with quality ingredients. When your dog’s body simply cannot cope with a certain ingredient, its intestinal tract will not be able to absorb all the nutrients in the food resulting in a softer stool. If you suspect a food intolerance you can always contact your vet to do some tests to check. It is better to be safe than sorry! You can also do food elimination to see if you take away certain food if your dog’s stool becomes harder and flatulence becomes less frequent. Speak to your vet as soon as possible if you suspect that your dog has a food intolerance. That will not only benefit your dog but also you!
Is it more serious?
If you change your dog’s diet and cut out certain foods and your dog is still having flatulence regularly then there may be an issue with the digestive system, such as an underlying gastrointestinal condition or an inflammatory bowel disease.
For this reason, it is always worth consulting your vet if you are worried.
The two culprits of excessive smelly flatulence are low-quality food and the other is ingredients that cause an allergic reaction. Poor quality and cheap food have cheap ingredients and can be challenging for your dog to break down. you must avoid giving your dog too many sprouts it can cause stomach cramps and diarrhoea.
Poor quality ingredients release a higher than usual level of smelly gas and cause stomach cramps.
Here are some examples of food that can help with this issue:
Lucerne – this is a legume that is high in protein and vitamins and the high fibre content allows for firmer stool.
Fibre – Fibre helps to bulk up stools and help the waste travel along the colon. This will mean your dog has a regular pooing schedule and will help get rid of any unhealthy food from inside the intestines.
Prebiotics – Prebiotics is a type of fibre and helps feed the good bacteria in the gut. This also helps with healthy digestion and regulates healthy bacteria.
Yucca extract – Yucca is a type of plant which can act as a powerful antioxidant that will keep your dog’s digestive system healthy and normal.
Best Dog food available on Amazon!
- Nutritionally complete, grain free dry food for dogs 4 months +
- Freshly made with 31 Percent Chicken, 8 Percent Duck
- Packed full of fruits, Vegetables and Botanical Herbs
- Support healthy bone and joints and boosts the immune system
- No derivatives, preservatives or fillers - all natural healthy goodness
Lily’s kitchen dog food itself is extremely healthy with fruit, meat, oils, herbs and vegetable. Great for your dog’s stomach. Having fibre in this food really helps push the stool through a dogs intestines allowing them to have regular bowel movements.
- Made without wheat, maize, beef, eggs, soya and dairy products
- Highly digestible protein to support muscle formation and retention
- Rich in Omega 3 for a glossy coat and healthy skin
- Added taurine to support a healthy heart
- Natural antioxidants to help support a healthy immune system along with prebiotics to support a healthy gut
For dogs with a sensitive stomach this Burgess Sensitive Hypoallergic is a great dog food. It has salmon which has great nutrients and is easy to digest.
- 100% NATURAL DRY DOG FOOD - Our food is made with all natural ingredients and free from artificial preservatives, flavourings and colourings.
- GRAIN FREE - At Beco Pets we make grain-free dog food which is also gluten-free and packed with prebiotics to make it easy on the digestive system!
- TRACEABLE FRESH FISH - The MSC Certified Cod kibble contains fish which is always traceable and cooked from fresh at 90 degrees, a no meat meal!
- GOOD FOR DOGS EYESIGHT - This natural dog food is not only good for your dog's eyesight but also maintains healthy bones and a shiny coat!
- LOTS OF OMEGA 3 - This sustainably caught cod and haddock pet food is packed with omega 3 and omega 6 and is a low-fat recipe.
This can be a dry or wet food. It is also gluten free for all the dogs that have a sensitive stomach. This will also reduce the amount of flatulence. It is also only £9.99!
I hope that you enjoyed this blog on the best dog foods for flatulence. Hopefully you have learnt what factors can help your dog’s flatulence issues. Do try these foods to see if it works and make sure to go to a vet if the problem continues.