If your Patterdale is anything like mine they’ll love treats. Actually, I think it is fair to say that most dogs love treats. Here we are going to look at the value of treats and more importantly how to use the higher values of favourite treats for training and safety. Introducing the best high value dog treats!
Using High Value Dog Treats
When training a young dog and especially when you know you are going to be facing challenges that they are going to find hard, it pays to have a good, ready supply of their favourite treats. Think of the different treats as different currency values; reserve the favourites for the hardest or most challenging situations. They are the £20 treats. Pieces of human food biscuits as occasional treats or £10 value treats and some things that they do like a lot as everyday or £1 treats.
The other way they work as currency is literally that; they are the payment your dog works for. From the dogs point of view the treats are a type of gig economy the harder and more complicated tasks earn them the most, while the standard everyday tasks earn, average income.
Ideas for High Value Dog Treats
It’s a good idea to start by making a list of four to five treats and rate them from one to five. Start with one being the most valuable.
For example my dogs list currently looks like this:
- Cooked sausage chunks
- Cooked chicken pieces
- Wagg treats, they love the chicken and cheese
- Milk bones
- Home made liver cake pieces
- With delicious meaty flavours for a great taste
- Oven baked for a delicious taste dogs love
- Enriched with vitamins and minerals
- No artificial colours or flavours
- No added sugar
Other things you might include in your own list are things like:
- Bits of beef
- Pieces of ham
- Liver chunks
- Pieces of Schmackos
- Milk Bones
- Pedigree Schmackos are delicious tender strips that are full of meaty flavours, designed to be a healthy and nutritional treat, made for training and rewarding
- Packed with dog-friendly ingredients and a great taste, Schmackos are a soft and scrumptious treat that your pet will love
- Each Schmackos chew has less than 30 calories and includes calcium to help keep your canine friend's bones strong
- Schmackos treats come with no artificial colours or flavours providing your dog with only tasty nutrients, plus vitamins, minerals and Omega 6 to help promote a healthy lifestyle
- Items delivered: 9 x 144 g packs of Pedigree Schmackos dog treat strips with chicken, turkey and duck flavours, total of 180 pieces, suitable for adult dogs of all sizes and breeds
Other brands and flavours of treats
Your high value treats are something that your dog really loves and goes crazy for. It will not be something they usually have. It’s the food treat reserved for the highest rewards.
So, you will have the everyday treats, the general training treats, the occasional treats and the most desirable treats that you only use when your dog needs extra incentive at times of high distraction or for a really important task.
Some excellent brands include Lily’s Kitchen, pedigree, Dragonfly and Wagg.
- ✔ GRAIN FREE DOG TREATS - Our training treats are grain & gluten free, healthy and natural, containing just 80% Poultry (37% Chicken, 25% Duck, 18% Turkey) 20% Sweet Potato and Chicken Stock. Great for use as puppy treats from 3 months onwards. Our treats are dried to a crunchy texture so they are not messy to carry in your pocket and small enough to give as a quick, high value reward
- ✔ SUITABLE FOR RAW FED DOGS - As there is nothing besides Chicken, Duck, Turkey, Potato and Stock in our training treats, they are suitable for those following a raw feeding or barf diet as well as a traditional dry dog food diet.
- ✔ PRODUCED IN THE UK - our dog training treats are produced in the UK, so you can feed them safe in the knowledge that they have been produced to the highest standards.
- ✔ LONG SHELF LIFE & RESEALABLE PACKET - Our Training Treats come in a resealable pouch to keep them fresh for up to 18 months.
- ✔ HAPPINESS GUARANTEED - if you or your dog are less than thrilled with our training treats, we will give you a full refund, no quibbles.
The Emergency Whistle or Word
It’s a useful tool when you start teaching your dog recall and it is something that you never know when you will need in a real emergency.
If you choose to use a whistle, then you will need to carry the whistle with you whenever you are out with your dog, therefore a specific word is usually the best option. So, I will assume you are using a word. Choose a word that you will remember and won’t otherwise use.
When training, use the word for recall and use plenty of praise and the highest value treat only when they come to that word. Continue to use other treats and praise when they come to your usual trigger word. You want to establish that it is really important to come straight away to that word. Once the training is in place, occasionally use the word for recall when you have the favourite treat to ensure that the word remains relevant.
I’ve heard stories of this working when a dog has run out in a strange place to get them back from near a road or to recall a dog from hunting in the woods. Used appropriately, it could save your dog’s life.
Other times to use the highest currency treats are for things like training new things and you need to incentivise the dog, especially in group sessions where they are easily distracted by the other dogs. This is also the case when training for agility or even to distract your terrier at terrier shows or racing where your high value treats will help to get the attention onto you. They can be extremely useful when rehabilitating rescue dogs especially when working to overcome fearfulness.
Buying High Value Dog Treats
There are many dog treats available to buy in pet stores and online. It is worth considering that there is usually more choice online, and it is also easier to browse the ingredients, compare prices and check for any undesirable ingredients or additives as well as any that are particularly desirable.
- RAW HEALTHY TREATS: Raw 100% Pork & Beef Treat with no other ingredients. Perfect alternative to unhealthy treats & snacks. Know exactly what you are feeding your dog and avoid problems such as itching, digestive pain, obesity and allergic reactions associated with unhealthy treats.
- JUNK FREE CHEWS: No artificial colours or preservatives, no additives, no sugar, no grain means these chews are totally junk free. Care for your dogs health along with their teeth and gums by choosing these treats over ones which cause plaque and tartar build up. Less expensive trips to the vet!
- ALL NATURAL: We use a traditional chemical free air-drying process unlike rawhide chews which speed up drying using chemicals which can damage your dog. Our natural air-drying process uses no additives or preservatives meaning you can have peace of mind that you are giving your dog the healthiest treats.
- PREMIUM QUALITY: Expertly dried using low temperatures to lock in vitamins, minerals and goodness along with enhancing aroma and giving a great taste that your dog will love. Purchase with peace of mind. We are so confident in our products that we offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
- 100% PURE PORK & BEEF: Pork & Beef are the only ingredients so our treats are ideal for pets with allergies and any dog on a raw food diet. They are hypoallergenic, grain, gluten & lactose free which means they are perfect for any diet.
Depending on the individual dog it may be necessary to avoid grains, certain meats and be aware of the calories. I tend to look for no added sugar and no or low quantity of colour and flavourings, when buying dog treats. I also like to get my dog’s seal of approval and then repeat purchase!
You might like to read about healthy puppy treats.