I’m sure most people will agree that the downside of having a dog in the family is clearing up the poop! I don’t know about you, but some days when I’m picking up in the garden, I wonder how on earth all this poop comes from one small dog? If you struggle with this issue then low residue dog food could well be the answer!
When you think about poop is the waste residue from digested food and indigestible ingredients from the diet. Hence, the more fillers and low grade ingredients in a dog’s diet, the more poop he or she will produce.
Help is at hand. Several food manufacturers are actively creating complete dog food that has no fillers and are developed to reduce the amount of waste that your dog produces.
The foods are nutritious, delicious (so I’m told!), packed with beneficial ingredients and mostly, they are additive free.
There is less waste with low residue dog food because almost all of it is completely metabolized during the digestion process. This means that most of the food is used as energy and repair by the system. Veterinarians frequently recommend low residue foods for dogs who have health problems related to digestion. Pancreatitis, intestinal inflammation, poor liver function and colitis are some of the digestive issues that a low residue diet helps.
Dogs recovering from surgery, diarrhoea or other digestive related illnesses benefit from a diet that is as easy as possible for the digestive system to manage and a low residue dog food can aid recovery. When the dog is fully recovered, they can return to their previous or a veterinary recommended diet. Sometimes low residue foods also contain the medication that helps the dog to recover, but when they do not, this type of food does aid with the metabolism of medication when a dog is feeling unwell.
There are some really good low residue dog food products out there, so here is a round-up of some of the best that we recommend:
- Pooch and Mutt Complete Digestion
- Lily’s Kitchen Senior with Salmon and Trout
- Burns Original Chicken and Brown Rice
- Arden Grange Chicken and Brown Rice
- Gilbertson Page Arkwright Complete Chicken
Another great thing about all of this selection of complete dog food is that they are all available from Amazon. What that means is they are delivered to your door free of charge. There is no need to lug heavy bags to and from the car.
Pooch and Mutt Health and Digestion
Pooch and Mutt Health and Digestion contains prebiotics to support healthy gut bacteria in healthy dogs and help gut bacteria in those recovering from a digestive upset. The complete kibble is designed to aid dogs that have sensitive or poor digestion. The grain-free kibble contains 45% salmon and is also free from cereals, gluten, artificial flavours, colours, preservatives and GMO ingredients.
The total nutrients are protein 24%, crude oils and fats 12%, crude fibres 3.5%, crude matter 8.5%, omega 6 1.2%, omega 3 3.69%.
- Designed to help dogs with poor or sensitive digestion
- Premium, grain free complete dry dog food
- Includes prebiotics to aid the balance of good bacteria
Lily’s Kitchen Senior with Salmon and Trout
Lil’s Kitchen Senior with Salmon and Trout is a high protein complete food designed for dogs over eight years old. This food has 18% turkey, 13% trout and 13% white fish. Other ingredients include plenty of herbs and natural joint support. There are no sugars, colours or preservatives in the ingredients list.
- Made with freshly prepared ingredients including freshly prepared meat, offal and fish such as 43% delicious turkey, trout and white fish, this dry dog food bag is for senior dogs in their golden years from 8 years+
- This dry senior dog food supper is made to a grain-free recipe* and contains the complete and balanced nutrition your dog needs in their everyday diet
- We carry everything from wet and dry suppers for dogs at all lifestages, as well as treats, organic options, and recipes containing one source of protein
Burns Original Chicken and Brown Rice
The Burn’s range of complete dog foods was developed by vet John Burns. The Original Chicken and Brown Rice is hypoallergenic, suited for sensitive tummy dogs and is highly digestible. The main ingredient is the brown rice 67%, with 20% chicken meal (20%), with oats, peas, chicken oil, sunflower oil, seaweed and minerals. This equates to 18.5% crude protein and has a crude fat rate of 7.5%; other ingredients include omega 6 and omega 3.
There are no artificial colours, preservatives or flavours.
- The original Burns recipe from 1993
- Developed by Veterinary Surgeon, John Burns
- Award-winning recipe
Arden Grange Chicken and Brown Rice
The Arden Grange Chicken and Brown Rice is carefully designed for adult dogs needing joint supplements. The Arden Grange Chicken and Brown Rice is also hypoallergenic and suited to dogs with itchy skin. Chicken is the main ingredient and this complete diet also includes prebiotics for a healthy gut and natural joint support supplements.
- A complete, super premium pet food for large breed adult dogs; Benefiting from a larger kibble size for a bigger bite and increased levels of glucosamine, chondroitin and MSM which may help maintain supple, strong joints and cartilage which is so important in large and giant breeds
- Free from artificial colours, flavours and preservatives; Containing a unique blend of nutrients and natural supplements to help promote the optimum health, vitality and condition of your dog
- Including prebiotics to aid digestion, joint supplements, essential fatty acids to promote a healthy skin and coat, cranberries for urinary tract health, antioxidants and added vitamins and minerals to help support immune system and dental health
Gilbertson Page Arkwright Complete Chicken
This complete diet is designed for active dogs, it’s a good value kibble that can be fed wet or dry. There are no artificial colours, flavours or sugars added to the Arkwright Complete Chicken. The food contains 18% protein, 7% fat and wholegrain cereals that they advise supplies slow energy release.
- TASTY CHICKEN DRY FOOD — Arkwrights Complete with Chicken provides balanced nutrition and plenty of energy for working and sporting adult dogs, with a tasty chicken flavour that'll have them licking the bowl clean!
- COMPLETE NUTRITION — we use only the finest ingredients in a nutritious formula that contains 18% protein, 7% fat and wholegrain cereals for slow energy release — no artificial colours, flavours or sugars!
- PACKED WITH BENEFICIAL INGREDIENTS — our balanced formula contains crunchy kibble to help keep teeth clean, antioxidants for a healthy immune system, and vitamins A, D3 and E!
Whatever your requirements for your dog, there is sure to be a low residue complete diet for their life stage. The manufactures carefully develop the diets to suit dogs who need an additive-free diet. They don’t add anything that does not have health benefits for dogs and they don’t add fillers or ingredients known to cause stomach upsets. As well as a healthy diet, there is less poop to pick up too!