If you know about the little stinky fish with the eyes that come in that metal tin from the cartoons, you know about sardines. These stinky weird fish, as odd as it may be, are packed full of nutrients and are actually very healthy for humans and dogs the same. Although smelly and a bit odd with their bulgy eyes, variations of small fish such as sardines and sprats (another little buddy from the sardine family) are great treats for dogs, believe it or not. Sardines are very nutritious and when they are integrated into your dog’s diet regularly they can help your terrier develop muscles and strengthen their immune system. The oily fish can also help your dog have a more sustained dental health and stay protected against kidney disease. Today’s article is all about the best sardines for dogs!
Fresh or Dried Sardines for Dogs?
Now, when you think fish, you may automatically assume fresh fish is the best option. Although it is okay for dogs to eat fresh sardines every now and again, it isn’t advised that they have it every single day. This is why dried sardines products and meals for dogs are a more sustainable option for their diet.
- Skinless & Boneless Sardines in Pure Olive Oil (Salt Added)
- Contains about 1,700 mg OMEGA 3 Fatty Acids Per Serving
- Sunstainably Fished ✶ Certified by Friend of the Sea ✶ Wild Caught
Forthglade Sardine Dog Dinner
There are very good options in the market for dog meals that revolve around sardines and are packed full with their health benefits. A good example of that is the Forthglade Dog Dinners in the Sardines & Sweet Potato. For dogs that are older than a year, this Dog Dinner is a great option. The Forthglade meal for dogs is natural, grain free, nutritionally balanced and specially curated for dogs to provide the best wet food for our terriers to enjoy.
- WET DOG FOOD: 18 x 395g trays of grain free dog food suitable for adult dogs aged 1-7 years, made with sardines, sweet potato & vegetables
- NATURAL INGREDIENTS: Bursting with goodness and made using natural ingredients, with added vitamins, minerals & botanicals, gently steamed to retain as much natural flavour and goodness as possible
- FOOD FOR HAPPY DOGS: Grain-free recipe making it easier to digest, which is great for sensitive tummies. Made using our high quality recipe with 75% sardines
What’s Great about Sardines for Dogs?
What’s so great about feeding your dogs sardines, is that most terriers have a taste for them. They love the taste of sardines and sprats and often find them quite delicious. Watching them devour a full fish is an enjoyable experience for both pet and other. There are dried sardines and sprats like the Dragonfly Treats that can serve the purpose of a reward during training or just a tasty treat for your dog. The company also has a refund policy that they are very passionate about in the rare case that your dog doesn’t enjoy the tasty snack. Suitable for puppies of four plus months, the dried fish snacks always have to be enjoyed under the supervision of their owners.
- ✔ 250g SPRATS NATURAL & HEALTHY - Our fish treats are grain & gluten free, healthy and natural, containing air dried oily fish. Great for use as puppy treats from 12 weeks onwards. Our treats are dried to a soft texture which can be broken into pieces for a quick, high value training reward
- ✔ GRAIN FREE & HYPOALLERGENIC- Unlike other training treats for reward made with cheap grains, our treats are grain, wheat and gluten free. Dogs cannot fully digest grains so grain-free treats help with digestion, give them a shinier coat, more energy, less weight-gain, less shedding, better breath, healthier skin, less poo for a happy and healthy dog
- ✔ SUITABLE FOR RAW FED DOGS - As there is nothing besides whole dried fish in our sprats, they are suitable for those following a raw feeding or barf diet as well as a traditional dry dog food diet
Pure Natural Sprats for Dogs
Also, if you’re looking for the most natural option that is completely free of any type of chemicals, the Pets Purest Natural Sprats might be the choice for you and your dog. The only ingredient of this tasty treat is 100% natural, gently air dried sprats. For dogs that are older than 2 months, the Purest Natural Sprats can be used during training or even fed to your dog daily for a healthy treat that boosts their immune system. The amount of benefits in treats based on sardines and sprats is immeasurable and will surely better the life of your pup.
- RAW & HEALTHY TREATS: Treat your canine or cat to a pure and delicious reward snack that isn't associated with the problems of unhealthier cat dog chew products. Fish is the only ingredient making it a pet safe alternative for a good boy or girl.
- JUNK FREE: There are no additives, colourings, preservatives, sugar or grain in any of our natural dog chews. Itching, digestive pain, obesity and allergic reactions are all symptoms that can be associated with unhealthy pet treats, but not ours.
- 100% NATURAL: Unlike rawhide chews that use chemical based air drying for reduced drying times, we use a chemical free air drying process that is better for your animal. You can have total peace of mind with our cat and dog friendly healthy treats.
Carnilove Fish Snacks
If you’re a bit squirmish and don’t want to be in contact with the little eyeball fish but you want your dog to enjoy all the benefits of consuming sardines and sprats, the CARNILOVE Soft Snacks for dogs are a great alternative. You only have to handle the little fish shaped treats as if they were goldfish crackers and not the straight up dried fish! The main composition of this soft snack is sardines, and in combination with other ingredients like salmon oil, liver gravy and collagen, your dogs will enjoy a tasty treat that delivers the benefits of sardines without having to experience the handling of creepy look-y eye-y fish! Depending on your dog’s dietary restrictions and preferences of taste and textures, they may end up enjoying these treats even more than chewing on dried fish anyway!
Overall Verdict – Sardines are Great for Dogs!
Whether your dog enjoys the dried sardines and sprats or they’re fed the dog dinners once or twice a week, or if they prefer the soft snacks, there are alternatives out there for dogs of all breeds, ages and size. If you’re interested to know different alternatives to dog snacks that help boost their immune function and provide other health benefits, please check out our article on Healthy Puppy Treats.