Weave poles are an excellent item to add to your dog agility set. They keep your dog fit and focused. Here’s Pip the patterdale terrier doing the weaving poles…
Agility Guidelines for Weave Poles
If you want to train your dog for proper agility, there are certain guidelines that you will need to follow for it to be eligible for competitions such as Crufts dog agility. According to official Kennel Club dog agility rules, the minimum number of poles should be 5 and the maximum number 12. They weave poles should be in a continuous line and 60cm apart. In today’s blog we are going to take a look at how to train your dog to do the weave poles and review some of the best ones on Amazon.
How to teach your dog to do Weave Poles
I’m currently teaching the weaving poles to my rescue patterdale terrier. He gets easily distracted when outside and so it’s good to have something for him to focus on.
- You can start by teaching your dog to weave in and out through your legs by encouraging him with his favourite tasty treat.
- Once he has got the idea of this action you can then introduce him the the weave poles. Throw a treat near and around the poles so that the dog learns that they are not scary.
- Take the dog on a trail through widely spaced poles with a piece of a tasty treat, always going into the first weave with his left shoulder next to the first pole. This is because in agility competitions the dog always starts on the right hand side of the first pole.
- Once your dog has started to weave through poles that are widely spaced, you can bring them closer together and repeat.
- Your dog should be weaving in and out in no time at all!
The Best Weave Poles on Amazon
Value Option – K9 Persuits Slalom Agility Poles
At the low end of the price range, it is easy to pick up a set of 5 cheap weaving poles for between £20-£40. These these K9 Persuits agility slalom weave poles are good value if you don’t want to invest too much and you don’t intend to train your dog for professional agility.
- Contains 12 slalom weave poles
- High quality plastic poles
- Ground fittings for soft ground
Mid Range – Agility Slalom Poles by Original Wuzz Mann
These mid range dog agility poles by original Wuzz Mann can be bought on Amazon for less than £80. The poles have a diameter of 30 mm – 34 mm and they include training supports which the poles can be used with or without.
- 10 easy to install PVC slalom sheets, weather resistant
- Ideal for dog sports clubs and private individuals
- Suitable for slalom pole diameter 30 mm - 34 mm
Professional – Callieway 12 pole Agility Weaving Poles
If you have a healthier budget and are looking for professional dog agility poles then go for these Callieway weaving poles. They are Kennel Club compliant and FCI conform. This means that they are great for training dogs for professional agility competitions such as crufts.
- Agility weaves with 12 poles (60cm distance between poles, 3,2cm diameter) - fully UK kennel club conform
- very solid design - suitable for any dog breed and speed
- simple to build up as 12 pole or separate 6 pole standalone weaves slaloms and easy to store away
If you enjoyed this blog, you might also like to read the following blogs