I never thought about using veggie dog treats – until we had visitors that were vegetarian and were reluctant to give him chicken or meat based treats. And fair enough, if you don’t eat meat you probably don’t want to touch it! After hearing this I read a fair bit about veggie dog treats and realised that there are a lot of health benefits to them as well. Fruits and vegetables are very nutrient dense and veggie treats can be good for their digestion. So we set out to find the best veggie treats for dogs and tested them out on Blake the Patterdale Terrier!
Some of our favourite vegetarian dog treats include Fruitables, Whimzees and Scrumbles. Here’s an outline of the best and tips on how to order…
Fruitables Veggie Dog Treats
Blake really loves the Fruitables Pumpkin and Banana veggie treats. As well as fruit they also contain oats, molasses, barley and sunflower oil. They also come in other flavours such as Pumpkin and Apple or Sweet Potato and Pecan.
- IRRESISTABLE TASTE: Everything's better with Pumpkin Real Pumpkin and sweet bananas combine for a taste that will drive your dog wild
- DELICIOUSLY HEALTHY DOG TREATS: Made with superfoods, our oven-baked dog biscuits are both healthy AND delicious No compromises here
- ONLY 8 CALORIES PER TREAT: CalorieSmart is our way of saying we use pumpkin to help reduce calories so you can keep treating your pet guilt free
Whimzees Vegetarian Snacks for Dogs
Whimzees for dogs are healthy and tasty – Blake loves the Whimzees Alligators! All of the Whimzees chews are 100% natural ingredients and they come in many different shapes and sizes including toothbrush and hedgehog shapes.
- DAILY DENTAL CARE FOR DOGS: Our treats not only complement every dog’s daily food routine, but they also prevent dental plaque up to 80% better than other leading dental treats.
- PREVENTS BAD BREATH AND TARTAR BUILD-UP: Our Triple Care dental care for dogs reduces plaque, fights tartar and combats bad breath of dogs. For good oral hygiene!
- LOW IN CALORIES AND FAT: WHIMZEES snacks are hypoallergenic and vegetarian and contain only pure natural ingredients. No artificial colours, flavours, preservatives or GMO. Only the best is good enough for your dog!
One of the most popular veggie dog treats in the Whimzees range is the veggie ear! This gives them the feel and taste of eating a pigs ear without being a real pigs ear! It’s made using Potato Starch, Glycerin, Powdered Cellulose, Lecithin, Yeast, Malt Extract and Lupine.
- Whimzees shapes are good for a giggle, and they're great for gnawing.
- 100% Natural Ingredients
- No Plaque and No Tartar
Scrumbles Softies – Veggie dog treats
Blake really loves Softies – the Scrumbles vegetarian dog treats with a plant based recipe. They are made from Oat Flour, Pea Flour, Gram Flour, Vegetable Glycerine, Sweet potato Flour, Dried Apple, Cold Pressed Rapeseed Oil, Linseed and Seaweed. They are quite large and shaped like buttons! We like to break them into half or even quarters when training to make them last longer.
- Scrumbles softies are the perfect training treat for puppies and adult dogs. Tasty buttons, baked to a soft texture make for the ideal reward for good behaviour
- 100% plant based makes for a healthy, planet friendly treat and suitable for sensitive doggies
- Made in the UK with natural, responsibly sourced ingredients.
The Gnashers from Scrumbles are also an excellent choice. They are natural dental sticks that will leave your dogs breath smelling fresh and minty!
- This multipack of 42 Scrumbles daily dental chews will keep your dog's breath fresh! The crunchy texture and active ingredients are designed to promote oral health
- They are scientifically proven to reduce tartar build up by up to 80% with daily use, and are free from artificial colours and flavours
- Scrumbles hand-baked, dog dental chews are low in fat! They are a guilt-free, grain free way to take care of your pets oral health
Pawtato Dog Treats
These Pawtato dog treats are actually vegan! They are free from meat, chicken and fish but will still taste meaty to your dog. They have the added benefits of being low fat and gluten free so great for your dogs overall health.
- VEGAN VEGETARIAN MEATY AND DAIRY FREE DOG TREATS
- HEALTHY & LOW FAT
- GLUTEN FREE
Soopa Healthy Bites
These Soopa healthy bites are based on a tasty Carrot and Pumpkin recipe. Low in fat, protein and calories, these are a healthy training treat that are Amazon’s choice in Vegetarian dog treats. They also do dental sticks in the same range.
- Pumpkin & Carrot Healthy Bites 50g, 100% natural
- Low in fat, calories & protein
- Hypoallergenic & pet nutritionist approved
Denzel’s Plant Based Bites
Denzel’s Plant based bites are an excellent alternative to meaty dog treats. They are low calorie and vegan ‘soft and squishy’ treats that your dog will love. Denzel’s are made from Chickpea Flour and Peanut butter, so great for dogs that love doggy peanut butter!
- Peanut butter, banana & carrot - our plant-based dog treats are delicious whilst allowing you & your dog to tread carefully on the planet.
- 100% plastic free dog treat pouch - I'm compostable or can be thrown in your normal bin where I'll break down naturally. Great for the planet as well as your dog!
- Healthy dog treats, naturally low in calories. Ideal training treats & on the go rewards.
If you found this article helpful you might also want to read about: